Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND)

Everyone is different, everyone is special and everyone matters. John Scurr is an inclusive school, which means we are committed to helping children overcome any barriers to their learning they may have.
At John Scurr we want every child to achieve their full potential. In most cases the needs of all children can be addressed through planning and teaching and with the support of parents. However sometimes additional support may be required and our school takes pride in the quality of provision it is able to provide.

Our SENDCO is Evelyn McSweeny . Please contact her at SENCO@johnscurr.towerhamlets.sch.uk

How we support children with SEND

Children may need special help at some point in their schooling.
​This may be as a result of physical, learning, emotional or behavioural difficulties. If we have concerns about a child’s learning we will arrange a meeting with parents to discuss the extra support that can be made available in school. If we think the child needs more help than we can provide, we will discuss with parents the possibility of involving other professionals, such as the Speech and Language Service or the school’s Educational Psychologist.

When children have been deemed to have Special Educational Needs, we make every effort to provide appropriate additional support drawing on the skills of our teachers and team of teaching assistants. We encourage parents to share with the class teacher, any concerns they may have regarding their child’s learning.

A child has SEN if he or she has a physical or Learning difficulty and/or and emotional or behavioural difficulty which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her. It has been estimated that 1 in 5 children will have Special Educational Needs at some stage of their school life.
A child has a Learning difficulty if he or she:

  • has significantly greater difficulty in Learning than the majority of children of the same age.
  • has a disability, which either prevents or hinders the child from making use of educational facilities of a kind provided for children of the same age in schools within the area of Tower Hamlets Local Authority.



  • This should be as early as possible and the parent notified as soon as possible afterwards.
  • The child will be supported and given the help they need or referred to specialists who can advise the teachers.
  • This will be reviewed and the parents’ opinion and views sought.

Scroll to Top